Things you might have wanted to ask us
It’s great to see that you are looking into using flexiWAN, the world’s first open source SD-WAN. Below you can find some questions we received from people who looked into using flexiWAN. If you can’t find below an answer to your questions, please feel free to contact us.
If your questions are more technical in nature regarding specific usage issues you might want to look at our users group on Google.
flexiWAN stands out from the crowd due to 2 major differentiators:
- flexiWAN is an open source SD-WAN solution. While there are many networking open source components, flexiWAN is the first and only complete SD-WAN open source.
- flexiWAN is like Android for routers. It features an open architecture making it a modular SD-WAN. This is done by offering an application framework in the router and the management which allows running networking applications in the flexiWAN router dataflow. This is different from simply doing VNF orchestration which we also allow.
Read more about flexiWAN’s modular SD-WAN architecture in this blog post.
The flexiWAN source code will be available for download at the end of December 2019. We will be publishing the availability of the source code on our website and to our community. Make sure to join our community.
While flexiWAN is open source and is going to be available for download at the end of December, we also offer 2 commercial options where the idea is to be very easy to do business with.
SaaS model, flexiManage hosted by flexiWAN
In this case, we host flexiManage and save you the need to install all the components of the management system, make sure it is running continuously and in the current version. You will also enjoy the on-going development of flexiWAN through regular updates we perform to flexiManage and remote software upgrade to flexiEdge (you can control when it is done). A few data points on this option:
- Hosted multi-tenant management system (flexiManage)
- Pricing is published on our website
- End users can create their own account
- Partners can create their partner account and add their customers/users as organizations to their account and bill them directly
- Payment is based on the maximum number of flexiEdge instances managed by flexiManage during the current billing period (one month). We don’t charge based on bandwidth
- No long term commitments, you pay for what you used during the month. Can stop at any time and pay only for the month of current billing period
- Support is included in this service (we support the account owner) but we don’t manage your network for you. This is something we leave to our partners to offer as a service
Self-hosting of flexiManage
- In this case you host the management yourself. Currently, this option is available for hosting on AWS. We will be adding support for more cloud options shortly and based on customer requirements.
- You support and manage your customers. We support you.
- Payment is based on usage reports you need to send us from the system
- 1 year commitment is required
- Fill in the form in the self-hosting tab to receive our pricing for this option
The flexiWAN pricing is published on our website. You can see the SaaS model pricing on that page and fill in a form to request to receive our self-hosting commercial license pricing.
Both options are possible. You can use flexiWAN in a SaaS model where flexiManage is hosted by flexiWAN or you can deicide to host the management yourself. Pricing differs between the two options. Typically we recommend to start with the SaaS model and once your deployment grows, shift to self-hosting if applicable for your organization.
Sure. The network architecture can be easily configured in flexiManage
Sure. We announced our GA in December and prior to that had our beta release out for 5 months with hundreds of flexiEdge instances installed.
That really depends on your preference and technical capabilities. If you need someone to help you build your network and manage it, we recommend that you go through a partner. We can provide you some options based on the countries in which you have operations in. Just contact us and let us know what you need.